UNC Graduate Highlights That Flier About Islam Contains Some Validity

I would like to write with regard to the fliers which have been posted up around campus entitled, "A Frank Word About Islam" and the responses in The Daily Tar Heel about this literature.

I've noticed that people are quick to say that posting this flier is some terrible, horrible act.

But one question I want answered is: What exactly on this flier is not true?

The flier contained direct quotations from the Koran -- quotations that called for the killing and driving out of non-Muslims, quotations which any true Muslim is bound to abide by as commandments from Allah.

The flier makes a good point also in noting that Christians, Jews and others are persecuted even to death in some Muslim countries.

Yet Muslims are not persecuted in America and other Western countries (except, I suppose, when Muslim terrorists commit mass murder on our soil).

Letter writers and others, such as Jason Idilbi and Mohamed Zayed, are quick to decry this flier (in very general terms, it might be added), but they seem unable to refute any of the truthful statements made by this flier.

We all are horrified by the terrible tragedy which occurred on Tuesday, and most Americans can certainly recognize that most Muslims do not support the type of fanaticism which fueled these attacks.

But on the other side of the coin, one cannot forget the images of Muslims in Palestine and Egypt celebrating the deaths of thousands of the "enemies of Islam." The face of Islam in lands "where it does rule" may very well have been shown.

Tim Dunkin
Class of `00