Waldorf: Forget Sign Ordinance

Chapel Hill's mayor says the town's ordinance limiting sign size should not be a major priority right now.

Waldorf's request came just days after Top of the Hill, located at 100 E. Franklin St., was forced by town officials to remove a sign that read "God Bless America, Woe to Our Enemies."

The size of the banner violated a town ordinance that limits the size of hanging business signs to six square feet or less.

In a written statement, Waldorf requested that the Chapel Hill Town Council members instruct Town Manager Cal Horton, who enforced the ordinance last week, to ignore the violation.

"The town needs to forget about (the ordinance)," Waldorf told The Daily Tar Heel on Wednesday.

The town council unanimously supported Waldorf's request Wednesday night.

Waldorf said enforcing the ordinance distracted town officials from more important issues. She added that because of the reaction to last week's tragedies, residents and businesses were less likely to consider the ordinance before posting a sign larger than allowed. "People understandably reacted very strongly," she said.

Waldorf also expressed hope Wednesday afternoon that council members would understand that although the ordinance was made to be followed, they should ignore the ordinance for an "indefinite amount of time."

"The manager can't fail to enforce ordinances -- we are all ethically and legally obligated to enforce ordinances," she said.

Waldorf did not specify when town officials should resume enforcing the ordinance.

Although Waldorf's statement was prompted by her own feelings, she also decided to propose the action because of responses from residents.

She said town officials received many calls from residents after Horton asked Top of the Hill to remove its sign.

Jason Hartman, manager of Top of the Hill, said that even if the ordinance is maintained, the business has prepared another sign.

"We have the (old) sign," he said. "Someone made a new one to fit the ordinance size."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.