Well-Known Names to Lend Sparkle at Jazz Event

Freddy Cole will play with a popular UNC alumna for a BCC-sponsored evening of jazz and "nouveaux blues."

The concert, the BCC's annual fund-raiser, is intended to raise money for various BCC programs.

While a big name such as Freddy Cole is sure to draw crowds, Deloach-Dawson is definitely the local favorite.

And she is no stranger to the Chapel Hill jazz scene.

A 1981 UNC graduate, Deloach-Dawson was the featured vocalist for the Black Student Movement Gospel Choir during her undergraduate years.

Her most recent appearance in Chapel Hill was at a BCC fund-raising event on Feb. 19, 2000. She preformed alongside fellow local singers Nnenna Freelon and Eve Cornelius for the "Triangle Divas" concert.

Deloach-Dawson's music is distinct, blending her gospel background with contemporary jazz and blues. This mix of influences creates a soulful sound that is difficult to categorize as anything other than unique.

Although she sings self-described "nouveaux blues," Deloach-Dawson has a strong feel for her spiritual upbringing.

"It's a little difficult to get away from my roots, and I don't want to get away from them," she said.

Deloach-Dawson was raised in Northampton County and currently resides in Durham. She said she enjoys performing in Chapel Hill and is looking forward to returning to UNC.

"I love it," she said. "Although I'm physically based here in Durham, I really don't do much performing in the area."

BCC planners said they consider Deloach-Dawson an excellent choice for Cole's opening act, as her style is vastly different from Cole's smooth lounge-singer crooning.

Between the two, they cover the entire spectrum of jazz, blues and gospel music.

"We thought that her opening for Cole would be a nice compliment," said BCC Information and Communications Specialist Lorie Clark.

A talented pianist and singer, Cole presents the audience with smoldering vocals that conjure up images of smoky, dimly-lit Harlem jazz clubs.

Cole occasionally pays tribute to his early success in South America by delivering suave Brazilian love songs in Portuguese, showing a versatility that few of his contemporaries can match.

Although the 70-year-old Chicago native has long been overshadowed by his brother Nat King Cole, he has cultivated a style and delivery all his own.

While Deloach-Dawson hasn't met her co-performer personally, she had the opportunity to perform alongside a member of the Freddy Cole band several years ago.

"What impresses me the most about Freddy Cole is that not only is he an excellent musician, he's an excellent band leader and surrounds himself with excellent musicians," she said.

"An Elegant Evening of Jazz" will be held at 7 p.m. tonight in Hill Hall Auditorium. Tickets are available at the N.C. Central University box office, the UNC Student Union box office and Millennium Music in Raleigh and Durham. Call the Union box office at 962-1149 for more information.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.