Young Democrats Host Rep. Price

The forum -- which was sponsored by Young Democrats and student government -- comes less than one week after the worst terrorist attacks in American history.

Emotions were high, and at times students and community members became unruly as they voiced opinions on a variety of topics concerning the nation's status.

But Price appeared to welcome the strenuous debate.

"We are not all of one mind," Price said.

"Unity at home doesn't mean there can be no debate.

"I hope and believe that the American people know the importance of coming together."

There seemed to be an overwhelming concern for America's foreign policy throughout the night.

Among the many questions raised was: "Can we be a better world citizen?" to prevent such attacks in the future.

Price responded by saying that America and its society have been a beacon of hope around the world and that there is no question that the United States must try to answer the question of why it is hated by some factions of the global community.

One area resident said she is concerned with the tone with which the American government has been speaking during the last week, bringing up phrases such as "wanted: dead or alive."

Instead of this, she said that our government should be bringing these factions to discussion tables.

The woman also was worried about how these developments would lead to infringements on the rights of American citizens.

"Our liberties are not absolute. Some inconveniences are necessary for the common good," Price said. "In a perfect world, violence wouldn't beget violence, but there are times when it is justified and at times even necessary."

When asked what the government would do to protect the refugees of Arab nations, Price's thoughts were that we must be mindful of these problems and that there is no perfect solution.

Throughout the night Price seemed to reiterate the fact that we must respond to these attacks.

"We must root out terrorism and reaffirm our role in the world. It is an evil that must be confronted directly," Price said.

He also said he wants the community to show compassion to the Arab Americans who are just as appalled by these brutal attacks.

"If it means anything as a community, it means to come together in the face or bigotry," Price said.

Price also encouraged members of his audience, which filled Carroll Auditorium, to do all that they can by donating both blood and money.

He said the heroism exhibited by the firemen, passengers on the planes, and public in general was very reassuring.

Student Body President Justin Young said he was pleased with the excellent turnout and that he thought the intense debate could also have a positive impact.

"Dialogue and debate will continue on these issues well into the future," Young said.

"But I want to be clear and call on everyone to be tolerant and respectful of all views."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.