3 Bishops Discuss Reconciliation

The discussion, entitled "Healing the Wounds of the World: A Dialogue Between the University and the Community," was attended predominantly by faculty members and members of the community and took place at the George Watts Hill Alumni Center.

Moderated by Chancellor James Moeser, the discussion featured a panel of three bishops: Vinton Randolph Anderson, presiding bishop of the Second Episcopal District of the African Methodist Episcopal Church based in Washington, D.C.; Colin Bennetts, Anglican bishop of Coventry, England; and Michael Curry, Episcopal bishop of the Diocese of North Carolina.

Planning for the event began last spring, but Moeser said the terrorist attacks gave the symposium a new purpose. "After recent events, this symposium will have a sharper focus and sharper meaning," Moeser said in his introduction.

The panelists began the symposium by answering the question Moeser proposed: "What is reconciliation?"

Anderson's definition of reconciliation transcended religious ideals. "Reconciliation, simply, is creating harmonious relationships through promoting diversity and respecting humankind and their differences," he said.

Bennetts' definition of reconciliation was derived from his touring of Cincinnati during race riots. He said that during his tour, he saw a sign that said "Truth + Forgiveness = Reconciliation."

"That definition has stuck with me," Bennetts said.

Curry's definition was more religion-centered. "The Bible teaches us that God was in Christ reconciling the world to himself," he said.

Later, the bishops addressed the controversial issue of faith's place in reconciliation and in healing the divisions of the world, national and local communities.

Bennetts, who has worked in areas of religious conflict such as Iraq, Israel and Jordan, stressed America's need to build relationships with so-called "enemy" nations.

But Curry stressed the need of reconciliation in local communities."There will not be peace in places like Israel until there is peace in Chapel Hill."