Aldermen Examine Pine Street Parking

The board's discussion emphasized limiting parking at private residences, but Mayor Mike Nelson said he wanted to see more models from other University towns before making any new ordinances in Carrboro.

Residents who spoke at the meeting said the expansion of rental properties on Pine Street poses safety issues in an area with heavy pedestrian traffic.

Tensions have arisen in the past between student renters and home owners on Pine Street, leading to discussions facilitated by the Carrboro aldermen.

Alderman Allen Spalt identified the relationship between the number of people and the number of cars at the large houses on Pine Street as a problem, saying a house with seven drivers has a greater impact on traffic volume than a large family. He also said parking freedom is a reason many students move off campus, and regulations could be a discouraging factor.

"The kids are going to have to figure out another way to get around if they can't stack up eight cars because of parking regulations," Spalt said.

Spalt said a large part of the Pine Street parking issue is the presence of a large gravel lot at one of the houses.

"That house now has a gravel parking lot that is bigger than it needs to be and very unattractive," Spalt said.

Discussion also arose about the method of reducing cars in the neighborhood. One option would be to regulate the number of cars per house or combine this with on-street restrictions.

The aldermen reviewed Chapel Hill's policies and requested models from other University towns.

Board members said they did not want to regulate who could live in certain areas, and Town Attorney Robert Morgan said creating a distinction between residences based on relationships between dwellers could bring up equal protection issues.

Alderman Mark Dorosin said restricting parking would be easier than designating who could live in certain areas. "I won't support any proposal that puts this body in determining who can live where," Dorosin said.

Parking is one of five issues the aldermen are addressing in response to Pine Street residents' discussions two weeks ago. Alderman Diana McDuffee said, "It sounded like tonight we're ready to move ahead with some parking issues, but that's not where it stops."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.