ASG Discusses Voting, Calendar, Credit Cards

The ASG Committee on Academic Affairs considered a resolution designed to support a shortening the UNC-system's academic calendar.

Adrien Lopez, an ASG delegate from UNC-Wilmington, said the 150-day calendar has an adverse effect on the academic experience.

"There is too little time between semesters," she said. "Starting early is hard for students with internships. Faculty don't have enough time to prepare."

ASG President Andrew Payne said the UNC-Chapel Hill Faculty Council initiated discussion on shortening the academic calendar when it passed a resolution asking for more control over determining the academic schedule.

Payne added that he hopes the ASG can present its resolution to the UNC-system Office of the President and to the Board of Governors.

The ASG also showed support for the College Student Credit Card Protection Act.

The bill states that credit limits for college students should not exceed 20 percent of the student's gross income or the total of $500 multiplied by the number of years since the account was opened.

ASG Senior Vice President Sonia Blanks said student leaders have a responsibility to help protect students from credit card companies.

"We as student leaders have to step in," she said. "(Universities) need programs to address debt once it's already there."

Blanks also said it is necessary to educate students about all aspects of credit cards. She suggested that credit card education become part of classes designed for freshmen, such as freshman seminars.

But Payne said that to accomplish its goals the ASG must gain the support of the N.C. General Assembly.

He said that the ASG's campaign to register voters earlier this month was a step in the right direction.

"Before we can go to the General Assembly to lobby, we have to register people," Payne said. "If we haven't registered anyone, our opinions don't matter to (the General Assembly)."

In a joint effort with the N.C. Public Interest Research Group, the ASG registered 4,000 voters in the past month.

Payne also praised the ASG for its response to budget cuts faced the system faced last spring.

The General Assembly threatened the UNC system with $125 million worth of budget cuts last spring. Payne said the amount was reduced to about $30 million during the next two years partially because of the efforts of students, including participation in the ASG Student Day at the Capitol last February. "We are the reason the (system) is receiving a little less than $30 million in budget cuts," he said. "We owe the students a debt of gratitude."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.