Campus Forum To Highlight Local Elections

Mayoral candidates for Chapel Hill and Carrboro will discuss topics such as growth, business and social issues in the community.

The forum will be held in 100 Hamilton Hall and will start at 6 p.m. with the Chapel Hill mayoral candidates. Carrboro mayoral candidates will follow at 7 p.m.

The forum, which is being cosponsored by The Daily Tar Heel and Carolina Public Policy, will allow voters to hear the candidates' views on an array of issues.

During the forum, mayoral candidates will have the opportunity to make opening and closing statements about their platforms and will answer questions from three panelists about growth, business and social issues.

The panelists are David Godschalk, a professor in the Department of City and Regional Planning; Aaron Nelson, executive director of the Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce and Katie Hunter, editor of the DTH.

Daniel Gitterman, an assistant professor in the public policy department, was involved in the planning of the event and said the forum would be beneficial to the candidates and students.

Gitterman said the forum differs from others that have been sponsored by organizations because discussion is limited to specific issues that affect students.

Gitterman credited students with the planning of the event, saying he played a background role. He put senior Emily Margolis, student liaison to the faculty for the Public Policy Majors Union, in charge of striking up interest for the event.

Margolis, who also serves as the Board of Elections chairwoman, said she is working on a thesis that explores political apathy and recruitment of young people into government. "(The forum) will also show the candidates that the students are listening and watching," she said.

Chapel Hill Town Council and Carrboro Board of Aldermen candidates also have been invited to participate in meet-and-greet sessions. The candidates will have tables set up outside of Hamilton Hall and will be distributing information about their individual campaigns.

Council candidates will set up at 5:30 p.m. and aldermen candidates at 6:30 p.m. The Carrboro mayoral forum will wrap up the evening's events at 8 p.m. All other events will end at 8:30 p.m.

The DTH will run mayoral candidate endorsements Nov. 5.

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.