Columbus Put The `Seas' in Deadly Disease

How does that rhyming mnemonic phrase go? "Back in 1492, Columbus sailed the ocean blue. ... In the New World he did sneeze, bringing natives to their knees. ... And if by genetic resistance some were saved, these healthy natives were soon enslaved."

I'm not sure if that's how it went exactly. Despite my deficient memory, the fact remains that Christopher Columbus not only sparked Europe's westward expansion across the seas, he also inadvertently introduced the world to germ warfare. True, he might not have consciously introduced this agent of genocide, but the "discoverer of America" also thought he was in Asia.

Deriding Columbus from a modern standpoint is easy, but I do not plan on criticizing imperialism or bashing the misguided spirit of early missionaries. Actually, I was hoping to link today's observances and holiday blowout furniture sales to the growing fear of biological terrorism. The same day we honor the start of several civilizations' downfalls, we fear the very slate-clearing plague that ensured European society's American conquest.

So how might our nation avoid a widespread epidemic today? There are two solutions, neither of which is bargain hunting for gas masks at Sergeant Sam's Army Surplus Store. The only way to avoid losing millions of lives is by either containing the disease and treating its victims or preemptively thwarting such an attack

Currently there are 29 National Guard response teams across the U.S. trained to handle the events following suspected biological attacks. One such team was deployed to ensure the safety of Manhattan's inhabitants following the World Trade Center assault.

But what if the terrorists don't wave a big flag and say "Hey! We just attacked you!?" Any effective biological attack will show no clear signs that it has occurred until many are already dead. If a virus is released clandestinely into an urban environment, National Guard teams could fail to quarantine the infected and be forced to rely on hospitals to treat most victims.

Unfortunately America's public health system is unprepared to handle the aftermath of bio-terrorism. However, if funds are diverted to better equip and educate hospital staff, the problem can be identified sooner, rather than later. When only subtle differences separate anthrax and flu symptoms, knowledgeable doctors are essential to our nation's health. Fortunately, the United States' first line of defense against bio-terrorism was bolstered last week when Congress approved $60 million of spending to accelerate the development of an improved smallpox vaccine and boost vaccine stockpiles.

Pursuing the second option, the U.S. is also looking to root out bio-terrorists before they can strike. Using a loose interpretation of language in a 1972 biological weapons treaty, the Clinton administration launched a germ warfare research project that included the production of a more potent form of anthrax. The Bush administration continues this research as a defense against biological threats.

By building weapons and weapon factories, U.S. intelligence can deduce how much funding and materials are needed to produce these lethal tools. Telltale signs, such as emissions unique to germ warfare factories, can also be deciphered and sought out. (The U.S. used harmless biopesticides when building these bombs and factories. As for developing the new strain of anthrax, the U.S. knew it existed elsewhere and only produced it in limited amounts to test its vaccines.)

I trust America, but why should any other country? Invoking American logic, Saddam Hussein could claim that all germ-incubating devices in Iraq exists to defend against its neighbors. To make this matter of trust more complicated, we cannot subject our nation's military facilities to the scrutiny of United Nations inspectors. This would open up our blueprints to more terrorism from all other nations.

Only by redefining the term "defensive" that is used in the 1972 treaty can Americans and all other nations opposed to germ warfare vanquish this unconventional form of terrorism. We know the capabilities of our terrorist enemies, a luxury the sixteenth century natives did not enjoy. By effectively allocating resources between hospital training and military intelligence, any biological terrorist attack can be mitigated before another civilization on our continent is wiped out.

Michael Carlton also would like to wish you a Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! Come help him carve the traditional moose at carlton@email.unc.edu.