Dedicated to Service After Stint on the Streets

Then imagine sleeping in a parking lot next to an adolescent being beaten by a drug dealer.

Now imagine you volunteered for this.

This is Angela Liu, a UNC sophomore from Kansas City, Mo. She was part of the program StandUp for Kids, which places volunteers in the shoes of homeless youth for 24 hours.

StandUp for Kids is a national nonprofit organization that focuses its outreach programs on homeless and at-risk youth. Moved by her experience, Liu is establishing a chapter here in the Triangle.

The organization has 25 programs in 10 states and is planning for 25 more by the year's end.

During her summer in San Diego, Liu worked one-on-one with youth while learning the intricacies of the program at its headquarters. She gained skills in outreach, fund raising, public relations and grant writing.

Liu also discovered a passion for service.

"As a freshman I didn't know what I liked to do," she said. "After my summer experience though, I got back my passion and motivation as I worked with the most forgotten kids in our country."

Liu said her experience made her realize how fortunate she is, and it changed the way she interacts with the homeless population in Chapel Hill. Now she is certain to always look panhandlers in the eye and to speak to them.

"The most overwhelming fact of my 24 hours on the street was that I knew when they were over, I was able to go back to my bed, my couch and the comforts of home. ...These kids didn't even have a glimpse of this reassurance."

And now Liu can't help but be absorbed in improving the lives of local children.

Here at UNC she starts her days at 7 a.m., calling businesses and schools to recruit funds, supplies and manpower. Liu spends her class breaks picking up supplies, returning phone calls and e-mails and arranging for new volunteers.

Although she's put in a lot of work, Liu said she has a long way to go -- raising thousands more dollars and making the public aware are immediate concerns.

Sometimes she is faced with negative responses, but she doesn't get frustrated. "If I've educated one more person about street kids ... I've erased the stereotypes and ignorance about the homeless from one person ... and that is my main goal."

Liu not only focuses her energies on StandUp for Kids, but she also is a campus tour guide and a member of Chi Omega sorority, in addition to her studies.

Despite Liu's workload, she said she knew the project was possible. "When you love what you're doing, the time doesn't seem like work, I enjoy it. It's fun."

Michael Phipps, a UNC sophomore from Charlotte who participated in the eight-week program with Liu, said he has never seen such determination.

"She is truly driven by a sincere care for the kids who face the peril of street life everyday," Phipps said.

Liu now focuses on reaching out to the UNC community for support.

"People view college students as apathetic," she said. "I want to call upon students at UNC to be active, volunteer and work to fix our generation's bad rep."

She will carry this message abroad next spring. While studying in London, Liu wants to establish an international chapter of StandUp for Kids.

She said her experience with the program has fostered a strong sense of civic duty in her. "I absolutely have to be involved in service for my whole life. It's not an option for me anymore."

Liu encourages individuals and organizations to get involved with the cause. She emphasized that there is plenty to be done and something for everyone.

"I'm not someone special, I study and party like a normal college kid," Liu said. "I just happened to fall in love with something I really believe in."

To get involved with StandUp for Kids, contact Angela Liu at AngelaL@standupforkids.org or visit http://www.standupforkids.org.

The Features Editor can be reached at features@unc.edu.