It's Time to Play Ball, Forget Past

For quite some time, Curry, the senior quarterback with all the natural ability in the world, has had a whole bag of chips on his shoulder.

He never seems to be enjoying himself when it comes to football.

He hates that he hasn't performed up to expectations.

He hates that situations beyond his control have hindered his career and kept his star from shining.

Coaching changes. Sub-standard offensive lines. Injury. Nearly everything that could have gone wrong has.

Given the turns his life has taken since his days at Hampton (Va.) High, it's hard to blame him too much for being down on life and football.

Curry's disdain is evident in his demeanor. It's not fun for him anymore.

When he talks to the press, his eyes roll, constantly waiting for a moment when he can pick up his stuff and walk away. You can sense his unhappiness and disgust through his largely meaningless words.

Curry makes himself available to the media only after games and Tuesday practices. He's not even the star of the team anymore. He's not the team QB anymore. Julius Peppers doesn't have such rules. Darian Durant doesn't either. But reporters can only ask Curry questions Tuesdays and Saturdays.

He hates being the man, shouldering the blame of fans and media.

However, in an ironic twist of fate, Curry now hates not being the man.

Having completed 37 percent of his 2001 passes for one touchdown and five interceptions, Curry finds himself as merely half of the team's quarterback.

Durant, a redshirt freshman, has gradually worked his way up to splitting time with Curry against N.C. State. Curry started and the pair alternated every two drives.

Ask anyone on the team and he'll give the impression that Curry and Durant are best of friends. They room together on the road. They talk all the time. When Curry led UNC to a touchdown against Florida State, Durant came out on the field with a congratulatory greeting.

That's easy for Durant, the up-and-comer. But when Durant limped off the field against the Seminoles, Curry didn't go back to the bench to check on him. Friends, huh?

Durant led the Tar Heels on all three of their scoring drives (27, 59 and 83 yards) Saturday. He completed 10 of his 14 passes for 128 yards, two touchdowns and one interception. Curry went 7 for 15 for 58 yards and an interception.

With evidence like that and a 2-0 record with the two-quarterback experiment, UNC coach John Bunting might decide to continue to phase in a little more Durant and a little less Curry.

That's not what this team needs.

"Coach's decision," Curry inevitably replies when asked how he feels about the QB situation. But it's obvious he's holding his tongue. He doesn't say, "As long as we're winning, that's all that matters." He's mad.

On the second play of the second half against State, Curry threw a short pass to the middle into the ground well short of a wide-open Sam Aiken, and UNC went three-and-out. Durant completed those passes. Simple things like that have held Curry back and it's hard to imagine that his complacent and lethargic attitudes aren't the root.

The Tar Heels have the potential to accomplish a lot of unexpected things this season. They already have. They're in the ACC hunt. A bowl appearance is in the picture.

But they need Ronald Curry to be the Ronald Curry of old. To put aside the hard feelings and frustrations.

Darian Durant isn't the answer. Curry-Durant isn't the answer.

To do something great with this season, North Carolina needs R.C. to take over and play to his capability.

It's not too late.

Mike Ogle can be reached at mogle@email.unc.edu.