March Aims to Curb Violence

To observe Domestic Violence Awareness Month, four county organizations coordinated the occasion.

The Orange County Commission for Women, the Family Violence Prevention Center of Orange County, the Orange County Women's Center and the Orange County Rape Crisis Center organized the march to commemorate Domestic Violence Awareness Month.

This year's event was the fourth annual march held by the organizations.

The march was organized by women who have been victims and their friends, as well as people who would like to see an end to domestic violence, said Brenda Rosen, an organizer.

Terri Allred, the executive director of the women's center, said she was pleased with the overall community response.

"We had a great turnout with really committed community leaders and citizens."

The marchers walked from the women's center, located at 210 Henderson St., to the Franklin Street post office, where they gathered on the front steps.

Patty Neal Dorian, executive director of the N.C. Coalition Against Domestic Violence, addressed the marchers about the mission of the event.

"First, to remember people who lost their lives by the hand they once loved and trusted," said Dorian, who was a victim of domestic violence.

"And second, to say there is no room in this community for domestic violence. We care because we know the effects violence has on the victims."

Members of the march displayed silhouettes of six people who were killed as a result of domestic violence and honored them by reading their stories.

The silhouettes will be showcased at the Hillsborough Courthouse, the Carrboro Community Health Center, and the Chapel Hill Public Library at various times this week.

Performer Judy Woodall followed the presentation, singing and playing a guitar.

Afterward, the organizations held a reception at the Family Violence Prevention Center, located at 201 E. Rosemary St.

Christine Williams of the rape crisis center said the march aimed to bring to light the often-ignored victims of domestic violence. "People are consumed in the violence happening all over the world, but they don't know it happens in their own dorm room or own community."

Dorian praised the strong state coalition against domestic violence and stressed the importance of such organizations against domestic violence.

"We are a team. We make sacrifices, we've lost, won, and we are always planning for the next game," Dorian said. "Why? Because we really do care."

Meanwhile, Bonnie Gates, March for Justice chairwoman, emphasized that the march would benefit the entire community.

"We march against violence not only because it affects women but also because through women, it affects families and children and the structure of society as a whole."

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.