Rally Aims to Boost National Unity

The rally, organized by the College Republicans, promoted unconditional support for America and its government, even in the event of war.

But several students with opposing views also attended to voice opinions.

The rally came in response to the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks but happened before the U.S. government began air strikes on Afghanistan on Sunday.

College Republicans Chairwoman Rheta Burton said the rally specifically was held to respond to two recent teach-ins that have garnered right-wing criticism for promoting peace as a viable alternative to military action.

But Burton said the rally's primary purpose was to show support for the nation.

The rally's speakers, who spoke from the steps of South Building, included Sen. Howard Lee, D-Orange, Rep. Russell Capps, R-Durham, Morrisville Mayor Gordon Cromwell, UNC alumnus Bob Pace and Asad Shamsi, president of the Pakistani American Society of Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill.

Lee, the first speaker, set the mood for the rally by saying that while Friday afternoon was hot, the heat was tolerable compared to the heat the nation's leaders are feeling. "On September 11, someone tried to destroy America," he said. "But on September 11, America came together."

Shamsi began his address to the crowd by saying "peace be upon you" in Arabic and condemning the terrorist attacks.

"I want to let you know that the Pakistani community of North Carolina is angered, saddened, and horrified by the events that took place on September 11," Shamsi said. He said peace, love and human kindness are the true teachings of Islam and condemned the acts of vengeance that some Americans have carried out against people of his faith.

Brad Overcash, a junior from Thomasville, also spoke, not as a representative of any group but to give a student's perspective. Overcash applauded the campus for its support of the country and its victims. But he encouraged everyone to remain tolerant.

"None of us are certain what the next step should be," he said. "What I propose to students of America and students of the first public university is let's not jump to conclusions about what is to come."

While the speakers at the rally said they will support America unconditionally, many attendees who agreed with the rally's patriotic theme disagreed about what the American response should be.

About 15 opponents of military action stood in a line at the back of the rally holding anti-war signs, some reading "Stop the Destructive Cycle of Violence" and "I Don't Support the War on Civilians."

Frances Ferris, a sophomore from Apex, was one of the anti-war demonstrators. "I'm very American, and I disagree that I'm being called anti-American just because I'm anti-war," she said. "You can be American without supporting the death of innocent people."

Burton said she supports the First Amendment rights of anti-war protesters but that she disagrees with the protesters.

"Our nation wouldn't be where it is without war."