Resident Urges Others To Support the Bonds In November Election

I would like to encourage all voters to seriously consider supporting the bonds.

I am especially interested in the bond that supports expanding our local recreation facilities. As a mother and someone who works with children it is always clear that sports and organized recreational facilities help to keep our children out of trouble. Two of my children have been involved in high school swim teams. Last year the swim teams at both high schools were unable to get the swimming pools at the start of the season. They had to wait at least two weeks before they could begin their training because the pool at the Community Center was not available. I am not sure how many people use the pool to swim or take lessons, but there were over 100 teenagers on the two teams that were unable to train due to lack of space. In an town with our resources, this is inexcusable. As a lap swimmer myself, I can also attest to the fact that it is difficult at times to get lap time at the one existing indoor facility. The lap swimmers include adults of all ages who swim for fitness or for rehabilitation reasons. These lanes get crowded, and those of us who are slower get frustrated. In addition, there are facilities being proposed for handicapped and elderly aquatic exercisers in a warm-water pool. Obviously this is a special population. Currently the only facility for children who need warm water is in Durham and does not allow for family swim time. As I hope you can see there are many different parts of our community who can benefit from the new pool. Please approve the bonds so that this can happen. Most importantly vote and don't let others make the decision for you.

Edwina A. Zagami
Chapel Hill