Teach-In Addresses War, Peace

The teach-in was the second in a series that focuses on alternatives to retaliation for recent terrorist attacks.

The teach-in, titled "Understanding Terror: What is War? What is Peace?" did not immediately draw the criticism or the attendance of the first forum, which was held Sept. 17.

Chancellor James Moeser's office was flooded by e-mails and phone calls after the Sept. 17 teach-in, which turned a critical eye on U.S. foreign policy and the calls for retaliation.

Both teach-ins were sponsored by the Progressive Faculty Network and the Carolina Seminar on Bridging the Divide. Monday's teach-in also was sponsored by the political science and geography departments.

Officials said the reason for Monday's teach-in, which was monitored by UNC police officers, was to broaden discussion, help educate people in a different way and present information that hasn't been covered in the media.

David Gilmartin, a professor of South Asian history at N.C. State University, spoke about Islam in South East Asia and the history of Muslim organizations in Pakistan and India. Gilmartin said that in order to understand reactions and events accurately, it is important to understand historical background and contexts.

The audience responded most enthusiastically to the Rev. Curtis Gatewood, president of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People's Durham chapter. Gatewood emphasized that he was expressing his personal opinion, which he said differs from the NAACP's national office. He encouraged people to be cautious when considering retaliation. "I am certainly opposed to any massive, violent attacks that could possibly kill thousands, if not millions, of innocent people at this time," he said.

The last speaker of the night was Elin O'Hara Slavick, a UNC art professor. Slavick showed slides of her artwork titled "Places the United States has Bombed." The artwork depicted devastation and destruction that was a result of the United States bombing places such as Sudan and Afghanistan.

After speakers finished talking, people broke into workshops, covering topics ranging from visual strategies for peace to ways to organize actions against war.

Allie Perry, a sophomore political science and English major, said she disagreed with the peaceful message of the forum. "People pretty much display an ingratitude for freedom that people have lost their lives over," she said.

But Perry said she came to see how people with opposite views felt. "Listening is important for both sides."