Tip Helps Catch UNC-G Prostitutes

Anthony Harvath, 20, was arrested in Ragsdale Hall on the UNC-G campus and charged with one misdemeanor count each of crime against nature, prostitution and procuring for prostitution, according to police reports. Harvath is a resident of Phillips Hall on the campus.

Christy Thigpen, 19, was arrested at Spencer Station on the UNC-G campus and charged with one misdemeanor count each of prostitution, maintaining a place of prostitution and procuring for prostitution, reports state.

The alleged acts occurred in Thigpen's room in Ragsdale, reports state.

UNC-G Police Lt. Paul Lester said Harvath and Thigpen made their prostitution arrangements on the Internet.

"They had encountered some people on AOL in a chat room and set up a meeting," he said.

Lester said police began an investigation about three weeks ago in response to the Crime Stoppers tip, which he thinks was made by an off-campus source.

He said the students have been removed from their residence halls and face campus disciplinary procedure.

They are scheduled to appear in court Nov. 21, reports state.

Lester said students living in Thigpen's residence hall were not aware of the alleged prostitution.

Lester also said he does not think this was a recurring action by Harvath and Thigpen or by UNC-G students in general.

"(The prostitution) is not only an isolated incident here at the university but for them as well."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.