UNC Faculty Receive Grants From Education Department

Two of the grants were awarded to programs sponsored by UNC faculty members -- Claire Lorch, a clinical instructor in public health and nursing, and Noelle Granger, a professor in the School of Cellular Biology and Anatomy.

Stephanie Babyak, a public affairs officer at the Department of Education, said in an Oct. 5 press release that the awards were made through the Comprehensive Grant Program, administered by the Education Department's Fund for the Improvement of Post-secondary Education.

She stated that the grants are intended to explore ways to improve higher education through enhancements in curricula, teaching or administration.

Both the UNC programs receiving grants will employ first-rate technology to enhance the academic experience of health profession students and to encourage continuing education among practicing health professionals.

Granger said her program, titled "Web-based Materials for the Enhancement of Anatomical Instruction in the Health Sciences," received positive national attention prior to being awarded the grant.

"We weren't exactly surprised we received the grant. But we're delighted that FIPSE has chosen to support us, because it's a prestigious grant," Granger said.

She said the program will create Web-based videos of dissection modules. Granger said UNC has been using dissection videos for several years, but that this is the first attempt to make them available on the Internet.

She said the videos provide medical students with a preview of what they will encounter during actual dissections. Granger said this is important because it instills confidence in students.

"Viewing the videos results in less fear and trepidation on the students' part," she said.

Granger said placing the videos on the Internet will make them available to students outside the campus and serve the needs of health professionals nationwide.

But Lorch said her program will focus more on the social aspects of healthcare rather than the actual mechanics.

Lorch said she will use the grant money to develop a Spanish language and culture course for health professionals. She said the program is intended to be a four-credit, interdisciplinary, distance-learning course.

Lorch said the course will emphasize oral proficiency. She added that the program also will focus on the Latino immigrant culture and the medical implications of cultural differences.

Lorch said, "Given the tremendous growth of the Latino population, we, as health professionals, are very eager to begin addressing the critical communication needs of that community."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.