ASG Forms Strategies to Address Tuition Hikes

Representatives from 15 of the 16 system schools discussed tuition issues, budget cuts and constitutional amendments.

ASG President Andrew Payne said the strategic plans will provide guidance to the organization for the next year. "One of our top priorities is building a coalition to address the tuition issues," Payne said.

He said administrators at some schools, including UNC-Chapel Hill, want to pursue a five-year tuition increase plan, while others want to boost tuition by fall 2002.

Payne stressed the need for compromise between schools' needs and the financial strain on students. "There needs to be a stopping point," he said. "That's why we started this coalition."

The ASG also addressed the impact a state budget crisis could have on the system. In early October, Gov. Mike Easley indicated that the UNC system might have to cut its budget up to 4 percent.

But Payne said he fears that a continued economic slowdown might encourage Easley to demand the budget cuts.

He said ASG members need to keep updated on the state's economic troubles. "We need to be on guard," he said.

Aside from tuition and budget issues, the ASG passed several amendments to its constitution.

Payne said one of the most important changes was the restructuring of voting power within the ASG.

Now Payne and officers will no longer be able to vote, even in the event of a tie. Payne said this is an effort to return power to ASG members.

The ASG also created two new initiatives to be pursued in the next year.

The first is to form an educational and legal defense foundation that would represent student interests.

The second is the establishment of an alumni organization. Payne said many former members of the ASG are now influential in politics. "We need to tap them to be part of our coalitions, to be a resource for us," he said.

Payne said issues discussed at the meeting were not a surprise to anyone and that they have been a long time coming.

He added that the meeting was valuable because it established the goals of the ASG for the remainder of the year.

UNC-CH Student Body President Justin Young said he wants to build communication between system campuses.

"We want to branch out and improve the way that we advocate for students and higher education in the state," Young said.

He said the initiatives will benefit ASG. "They will bring more accountability to the organization," Young said. "It adds another aspect to what the ASG does."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.