Bash Offers Wholesome Alternative

Costumed UNC students came together during the first-ever Halloween Bash at the Student Union for a night of listening to music, snacking, storytelling and pumpkin carving.

Although the estimated turnout of 100 people was slightly lower than the 300 that they had projected, organizers said they were satisfied with the event.

"There were 40 pizzas gone in an hour and 45 minutes. That's always a good thing," said David Cooper, Residence Hall Association president.

RHA planned the party with Olde Campus Upper Quad, which is the governing body for North Campus residence halls, UNC Rotaract and Chi Alpha Omega. Carolina After Dark, a group that funds and encourages nighttime campus events, also provided money for the event.

Nikki Binz from RHA and CAD said the groups got a considerable discount from Carolina Dining Service for the food provided at the event.

In addition, a costumed dance in the Great Hall in the Student Union, sponsored by the Black Graduate Students Association, attracted students to the event.

Participants said they enjoyed the wide range of activities offered at the bash.

Renee Pelletier, a freshman dressed as a bug, took advantage of free bowling offered at the Union Underground. "If you don't want to be rubbing elbows with 50,000 people, it's a nice alternative."

She added, though, that she was planning on going to Franklin Street later with friends.

Many disguised UNC students gathered in the Union Cabaret to hear bands Back Beat and Sub-Ether jam the night away. Others preferred to eat, relax and converse with fellow attendees.

Snacking on free cookies, freshman Kevin White, costumed as a woman, said he and his friends decided to stop by the Union on their way to Franklin Street.

"I love free food, and I don't drink," he said as he stroked the shoulder-length black wig on his head.

Roommates Ama Boaten, from Ghana, and Noriko Satake, originally from Japan, exchanged traditional garb from their home countries for their costumes. They said they wanted to check out the dance before going to Franklin Street.

CAD member Brian Gallagher said he had already received positive feedback about storyteller Terry Rollins, the pumpkin carving and especially the apple cider.

"I'm excited about different aspects of Carolina coming together," Gallagher said.

He said the organizations learned a lot from this year's bash. He said there were problems with communication among the groups and some plans fell through.

Binz said she hoped the bash will become an annual event on UNC's campus.

Gallagher went a step further, saying, "Halloween can be as big as Fall Fest. It can be done."