Black Sets Deadline To Adjourn Session

House Speaker Jim Black, D-Mecklenburg, announced Thursday that he intends to end the session by Dec. 1, more than 10 months after the legislature began meeting Jan. 24.

Long sessions, which take place in odd-numbered years, usually end by July or August.

This year, the N.C. House has held 43 consecutive weeks of floor sessions as legislators debated what to do with a multimillion dollar budget deficit and redistricting.

A four-seat Democratic majority in the House has complicated the situation and forced legislators to strike compromises.

Several Democrats banded together on behalf of the state's black citizens and opposed the party's stances on redistricting and the budget.

Black spokesman Danny Lineberry said the session's unusual length did not play a role in the speaker's decision. Lineberry said Black decided to adjourn because lawmakers will have met their primary goals for the session.

Lineberry said he does not know what legislation will be voted on during the final week of session. He said Black might not call for a vote on the lottery bill or environmental restrictions on power plants during this session.

"They will not be voted on unless they have the votes to support them," Lineberry said. "The speaker isn't going to put them on the floor just to call for a vote."

House Majority Leader Phil Baddour, D-Wayne, also said some legislation might not have the support necessary for a vote but that legislators will address the necessary items.

"There will be nothing that's overlooked," Baddour said. "But that doesn't mean we will deal with all the legislation."

House Minority Leader Rep. Leo Daughtry, R-Johnston, said the House had plenty of time to discuss legislation that might not receive a vote this session.

Daughtry said lawmakers' inability to address such issues reflects poor planning on the part of leaders.

"We had 10 months to look at these things," he said. "Why not bring them up until the end of session?"

Daughtry said he felt the speaker's decision was a long time coming. "The decision is well overdue," he said.

But there has been some speculation that the General Assembly might be forced to reconvene in special session to discuss amending the budget passed in September because of the state's declining economic situation.

The state legislature spent more than eight months debating budget cuts and tax increases to cover a nearly $800 million deficit.

Lineberry said legislators will not reconvene of their own volition. He said Gov. Mike Easley will have to call a special session if the General Assembly is going to meet again before it begins short session in May.

Baddour said he doubts the House will convene in special session but that he will do what is required of him.

"I don't think the governor will call us in unless he absolutely has to," he said. "We will do our duty."

Members of the House are not the only legislators affected by Black's decision. To adjourn the General Assembly, the House and Senate must adjourn at the same time.

Rob Lamme, spokesman for Senate President Pro Tem Marc Basnight, D-Dare, said the Senate finished business a month ago and has been waiting on the House. Lamme said Black's announcement has been long anticipated.

"Senator Basnight's and the Senate's number one priority right now is to adjourn the session," he said.

Baddour said that with budgeting and redistricting wrapped up, ending the session by the Dec. 1 target date is achievable. He also said he is glad the session's end is within sight.

"Everybody is disappointed the session has taken as long as it has," Baddour said. "Nobody wanted to stay here this long."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.