Carolina Cancer Focus Joins American Cancer Society For Smokeout

Join the nation in quitting smoking Thursday -- smoking affects us all. Whether or not you smoke, you know people who do, and you inhale secondhand smoke all the time. This week, you can help alleviate one of society's deadliest habits.

Thursday marks the American Cancer Society's 25th annual Great American Smokeout. Carolina Cancer Focus will be in the Pit from Tuesday through Thursday to promote the national event.

The goal of the Great American Smokeout is to encourage the approximately 46.5 million adult smokers in the country to quit smoking for 24 hours in the hope that they may remain forever smoke-free.

We encourage smokers on campus to come join the rest of the nation in quitting for a day. Those who sign the pledge will receive a quitting packet including informational brochures, coupons for Nicorette Gum and a stress ball from the UNC Center for Healthy Student Behaviors. If you don't smoke, send your friends who do. We also have helpful information that you can mail to your family. There are endless ways you can help out.

Smoking is the major cause of cancer-related death in the United States. Tobacco use is responsible for nearly one in five deaths in the nation. Statistically, smokers die 10 to 12 years younger than nonsmokers.

The sooner smokers quit, the more they can reduce their chances of getting cancer and other diseases. Within 20 minutes of smoking the last cigarette, the body begins a series of regenerating changes. After 24 hours, the chance of heart attack decreases. After one year, the risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker.

Smoking is the most preventable cause of death in our society. Last year, 19 percent of smokers participated in the Great American Smokeout, and four percent were still not smoking one to five days later.

Please join Carolina Cancer Focus in the Pit Tuesday through Thursday. It takes small steps to win a big fight. Join a national cause, and help build a path to a healthier life.

Arash Jahanian

Education Chairman

Katarina Hjelt

Education Vice Chairwoman

Carolina Cancer Focus