Saturday, July 27, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Curry's Return Sparks Revival of 2-QB System

Quarterback Ronald Curry returns to action against Duke on Saturday after not playing the last two games.

UNC coach John Bunting said the team will return to the two-quarterback system for Saturday's game against Duke, which means Curry should get the start and play two series before redshirt freshman Darian Durant takes over for the next two series.

"I mean, that's fine," said Durant, who started UNC's games against Georgia Tech and Wake Forest. "He never lost the job in the first place."

Curry did not play against Georgia Tech because of a hamstring injury -- he says it's fine now -- and was in his hometown of Hampton, Va. for his cousin's funeral for the Wake Forest game.

Durant also suffered a death in his family and left the team for most of last week's practice. Curry said Tuesday he complimented Durant's performance in the Wake Forest game -- Durant completed 24 of 32 passes for 361 yards -- but did not talk to him about his family.

"I don't really want too many people to come up to me and ask me how I'm doing," Curry said. "Just talking about it brings tears to my eyes."

Peppers Named Lombardi Finalist

Four of the nation's top defensive players -- Alex Brown of Florida, Rocky Calmus of Oklahoma, Dwight Freeney of Syracuse and Julius Peppers of North Carolina -- have been named as finalists for the 2001 Rotary Lombardi Award.

The winner will be announced at the 32nd annual Rotary Lombardi Award Dinner at the JW Marriott Hotel in Houston on Dec. 5.

Durant Earns 5th Rookie Award

North Carolina redshirt freshman Darian Durant has been named the ACC Rookie of the Week for the fifth time this season, the conference announced Monday.

Despite practicing just one day due to the death of his stepmother, Durant was sharp against Wake Forest and set UNC freshman records for completions, passing yards and touchdowns in the loss. It was fourth-best passing day ever at UNC and the first time a Tar Heel had thrown four touchdown passes since Chris Keldorf had four against Duke in 1997.

Durant now owns UNC freshman records for touchdown passes (16), completions (124), passing yards (1,596) and total offense (1,716).

Field Hockey Players Pick Up Honors

Six North Carolina field hockey players have earned South Region All-America honors, announced the National Field Hockey Coaches Association on Monday. Carrie Lingo, Abby Martin and Amy Tran were named to the first team, while Susan Hayes, Meredith Keller and Abbey Woolley were named to the second team.

As members of the first team, Lingo, Hayes and Tran are in the running for All-America honors, which will be announced on Nov. 19.

1st, 2nd Round of NCAA Tourney Set

North Carolina will host the first and second rounds of the 2001 NCAA Division I Women's Soccer Championship this weekend with games Friday and Sunday at Fetzer Field.

The Tar Heels are the NCAA Tournament's No. 1 seed and will host UNC-Greensboro Friday at 5 p.m. in a first-round game. Tennessee and Duke will meet in the second game at 7:30 p.m.

The winners of Friday's games will meet each other Sunday at 1 p.m. in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

Tickets also will be available at the Fetzer Field gate Friday at 3:30 p.m. and Sunday at 11:30 a.m. Tickets are $7 for adults, $3 for students and senior citizens and $1 for children ages five and under.