Easley Signs Anti-Terrorism Bills Into Law

The two bills specify stricter jail sentences for those who deal with biological agents or perpetrate hoaxes that cause public panic.

One of the new laws specifies jail sentences for people who unlawfully possess biological agents that can be used as weapons of mass destruction, and the other tracks the storage of biological, chemical and nuclear agents.

"It is important that we update our laws to reflect our new reality," House Majority Leader Philip Baddour, D-Lenoir, stated in a press release Wednesday.

"Bioterrorism is a very serious crime and must be punished as such."

House Bill 1468, sponsored by Baddour, imposes a minimum prison sentence of 20 years for anyone who manufactures, possesses, stores, sells or transports any weapon of mass destruction.

The bill defines weapons of mass destruction as those composed of nuclear, biological or chemical agents.

The bill also makes perpetrating a hoax about hazardous substances that causes a public panic a crime punishable by five to 15 years in prison.

It further institutes a first-degree murder charge to deaths caused by weapons of mass destruction.

"I think it's something we need to do in North Carolina to show we're not going to tolerate acts of violence in this state," Baddour said.

House Bill 1472, sponsored by Rep. William Culpepper, D-Chowan, requires the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services to keep a confidential registry of state organizations and agencies that hold substances that could be used as weapons of mass destruction.

"One of the questions that has plagued law enforcement is how criminals are getting their hands on these biological weapons," N.C. Attorney General Roy Cooper stated in a press release.

"Law enforcement should quickly be able to determine what labs have which biological agents."

Beginning Jan. 1, between 50 and 75 laboratories, including those at UNC, will be required to report which biological agents they possess, the amount of the agents and the security measures taken to protect the stores.

The program is expected to cost between $7,000 and $70,000 every year.

Russ Lea, vice president of research for the UNC system, said a simple registry of possible weapons of mass destruction will not have a negative effect on the system's mission of educating students.

Although North Carolina has not experienced terrorist attacks, Baddour said stronger security measures are still needed in light of the recent attacks and anthrax fears.

"The fact that it hasn't happened in North Carolina is a wonderful thing, but we don't know the next place where a terrorist would strike," Baddour said.

Cooper said these laws are a step toward protecting North Carolina residents.

"We can't prevent other nations from making weapons of mass destruction, but we can prevent terrorists from stealing them from our laboratories."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.