Extra Money to Pay Candidates' Bills

But in the days leading up to the mayoral election, candidates are focusing on where to invest their extra dollars.

Finance numbers released by the Orange County Board of Elections last week show that candidate Kevin Foy had about $3,208 left to spend a week before the election, while candidate Lee Pavao had about $2,573.

But neither candidate -- both of whom are members of the Chapel Hill Town Council -- has specific plans for the money.

Foy said he will be catching up on postal bills and last-minute newspaper advertisements but will not be making any changes in what he says has been a solid campaign.

Pavao said he also considers his campaign a success and will not be taking any extra measures in the final week. "I see no reason to change (my approach)," Pavao said. "But I'm going to be on the street campaigning on Monday."

Pavao also said he has miscellaneous bills, mostly for campaign fliers, to finish paying off as his campaign winds down.

Foy leads significantly in the total amount raised, but Pavao has been operating under a self-imposed donations cap.

Although he has not adopted a cap for his campaign, Foy requested a cap of $10,000 on total contributions earlier this year -- a proposal Pavao refused.

Instead, Pavao limited each of his donations from individual contributors to $100, half of what Foy was willing to accept. "That was my way of putting a cap on my income," Pavao said.

During his tenure as Town Council member, Foy has implemented the practice of a $200 limit on individual campaign contributions and full disclosure of fund-raising sources.

Prior to Foy's proposal to the Town Council for a spending cap, few rules governed campaign finance, and candidates only had to report contributions greater than $3,000.

As of Oct. 29, Pavao had raised just less than the $10,000 that was Foy's proposed limit, and Foy had raised $14,285, according to the latest campaign finance reports. Foy said he wasn't going to obey a set cap if it wasn't respected by all candidates. Pavao said he has narrowed the gap in fund raising since Monday but refused to speculate about his new total.

Officials at the Orange County Board of Elections said the candidates can either pocket extra money for personal use after the election or keep their campaign account open for upcoming races.

Final totals on campaign contributions will not be available until January.

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.