Freshman's Play Impresses Hatchell

But the North Carolina guard already has made quite the impression on women's basketball coach Sylvia Hatchell.

"Our last game, there were four WNBA point guards," said Hatchell of UNC's 89-79 loss to the Premier Players, a team made up of WNBA talent. "Kelly Miller was the second draft pick in what was supposed to be the best senior class ever.

"Kelly couldn't guard her."

Metcalf scored 24 points Thursday against the Premier Players, and against the Perik Jumpers on Sunday, Metcalf had another field day. The freshman put up 15 points while dishing out 13 assists and going 8 of 10 on the free throw line.

The Tar Heels cruised to a 113-56 victory Sunday at Carmichael Auditorium in their last exhibition game before the season opener Friday against George Mason in the Preseason WNIT.

"I'm hoping a lot of our games are like this," Hatchell said.

Six-foot-6 center Candace Sutton led the Tar Heels with 22 points on 10-of-16 shooting from the floor.

The Tar Heels used Sunday's game as an opportunity to work on the different defenses they intend to use this season. UNC used a multitude of strategies in the first half before settling into a half-court tactic in the second half.

Hatchell said, "We still have to know what defense to throw out in what situation."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.