Harry Potter Movie Robs Readers of Imagination, Spoils the Book's Magic

Last Friday, Harry Potter changed for people all over the world, forever. Last Friday was the death of the magical, imaginary realm of Harry, Ron, Hermione, Hagrid, Quidditch, Hogwarts, Muggles, Dumbledore and The One Who Shall Not Be Named.

For those of you that went to see the Harry Potter movie, the magic was taken out of your mind's eye and replaced with what flashed on that flat screen. Where there used to be a million different Harry Potters now there is only one.

Do you think that kids not yet old enough to read will read the story of Harry Potter or see the movie?

I am not a maniacal radical yelling kill your television and rock 'n' roll is the devil's music.

I like movies. I love AC/DC.

Nor am I saying that the Potter movie will be bad. There is certainly a wonderful story behind it. It is, however, destroying the world that you created. There is no going back.

Volume five of the series, if it is released, will be the story of the characters that you see in the movie. Your imagination has been robbed.

The beauty of the story and most any story is in the individual creation of the characters, scenes and events. It is what makes writers into authors and readers into artists.

I know what Harry Potter looks like. J.K. Rowling wrote his story, and I created him.

P.S. If you think it is OK because J.K. Rowling had a hand in the casting, you just missed the point.

Michael Smith

Class of 2001