Homecoming King, Queen Crowned

"It was the best feeling in the world," Cherry said. "It's a great honor to be in this position."

Higginbotham received 842 of 1,604 votes for queen -- 52 percent of the vote -- while Cherry received 831 of 1,555 votes -- 53 percent -- for king.

King runners-up Marcus Harvey and Victor Ibrahim received 26 and 21 percent of the votes, respectively. Queen candidates Jessica McLean and Aidil Polanco garnered 26 and 22 percent.

Problems with Student Central threatened to complicate online voting for Homecoming king and queen last Wednesday. The Web site experienced problems in the morning, preventing some students from accessing the page. The problem was fixed by noon.

"I don't think it really made a difference because so many people voted," said Board of Elections Chairwoman Emily Margolis. The elections board offered candidates the option of extending the voting, but none opted to do so.

Now that the elections are over, the king and queen will begin work on one of their duties - completing a major service project. Higginbotham's project, the "Heeling Hearts" program, will provide toys and cards for children affected by the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Cherry plans to hold a health awareness day in the spring, with workshops addressing stress, STDs, healthy relationships and nutrition and exercise. "It's something everybody needs."

Nominees who were not elected said they remain committed to service. "Despite the fact that I did not win, my service project shall be done," said Harvey, whose project will focus on domestic violence. "It's still important to me."

Polanco also said she plans to carry out her proposed service project, Hunger Awareness and Relief.

This year's election reinforced longstanding ties between the election of Homecoming king and queen and the Black Student Movement. Last year was the first time in 10 years that a BSM-sponsored candidate was defeated. Traditionally, Mr. and Ms. BSM, elected in September, are required to run for positions in the court.

BSM Vice President Brad Picot said Ms. BSM was unable to run due to personal reasons, but Higginbotham was a good choice for sponsorship by the BSM. "Shayla's been a pretty active member," he said, noting Higginbotham's position as the BSM's on-campus coordinator.

Higginbotham could not be reached for comment Saturday and Sunday.

Cherry, who was elected to be Mr. BSM in September, said his two titles are equally meaningful to him. "(Winning Homecoming king) is something I will remember, show my children and cherish forever," he said.