Mixed Media Artist Finishes 1-Week Residency

The first of the Ackland Art Museum and the UNC Department of Art's visiting artists, Marsching came to UNC for an intensive one-week program and to display her work in the Alcott Gallery in the Hanes Art Center.

She collaborated with five students throughout the last week, and the end result of such collaboration will be displayed at 5:30 p.m. tonight outside the gallery, with a discussion session following.

Marsching said she intended this media project to encompass video, sound and text. "It may be a little too ambitious, but hopefully all that stuff will happen," she said.

Marsching explores the phenomenon in which people see definite patterns in unstructured images and construct meaning where it's uncertain.

Her students' work, an interactive media piece, will follow along these lines.

In addition to her collaborative work, Marsching has personal work on exhibit at the Alcott Gallery until Dec. 10. The project is a 35-foot long panoramic digital print, with a laptop for viewers to see additional pieces on the Web.

In this digitized artwork, Marsching takes the typical user-computer relationship and transforms it into a sort of symbiosis -- both computer and artist share equal responsibility for the finished product.

"In a way it's kind of like I am collaborating with the computer to create these images," she said. "It's a seamless image of unlike images -- this forces warping and twisting and merging."

Marsching located various Web images and imported them into a digital stitching program. The finished piece holds a theme of sight, space and vision in what Marsching refers to as an imagination of what it's like to fly.

"It's the human desire to be unrooted and to fly off the earth and into space," Marsching said when explaining the meaning of her work.

This is a meaning she said she hopes to convey through both her personal exhibit and her student collaboration. She said, "All the work is really kind of about collecting a large number of images around a certain theme to create a narrative."

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.