N.C. House Approves Districts

A Thursday amendment has increased th to 15, appeasing dissenters.

The new plan -- which is the basis for political control of the state House -- passed by a 63-57 vote along party lines.

The plan must still be approved by the state Senate.

The final House vote on the plan has been put on hold for more than a week, after several black Democrats said they would not support the Democratic plan because it reduced the number of majority-black districts in the state.

The Democratic plan contained only 12 majority-black districts, but an amendment proposed on the House floor Thursday raised that number to 15, garnering the votes of dissenting Democrats.

Rep. Toby Fitch, D-Wilson, one of the dissenting black Democrats, said Thursday on the House floor that while he didn't agree with all aspects of the plan, he would vote for it.

The new plan changes the actual number of black voters in most districts only slightly, bumping up two districts from 49 percent to just barely over 50 percent.

Rep. Joe Hackney, D-Orange, vice chairman of the House Redistricting Committee, said he was satisfied with the new plan and that it was similar to the plan approved a week ago.

"There was a symbolic difference for some of the members, but there was really little difference," Hackney said. "I think you can describe this as a kinder, gentler plan."

The new plan actually helps the Republicans in one area. Under the previous plan two Republican incumbents -- Reps. Edgar Starnes, R-Caldwell, and Gene Wilson, R-Watauga, -- would have had to run against each other. Under the adopted plan the two representatives were placed in separate districts.

The redistricting discussion concluded on a heated note. House Speaker Jim Black, D-Mecklenburg, abruptly ended the debate even though several Republican members were waiting for their chance to speak.

As Black began to call for a vote on the bill, several Republican members jumped from their seats and angrily screamed at Black to be allowed to speak. Black ignored their cries and continued to call for the vote.

Many of the chamber's Republican members were already angered by Black's unwillingness to allow any Republican amendment to be heard.

Only one amendment was introduced on the House floor Thursday -- and it passed by a 117-3 vote. But Republicans claimed that they had 10 to 12 other amendments that Black did not allow them to introduce.

"The idea that you can only introduce Democratic amendments is not right," said House Minority Leader Rep. Leo Daughtry, R-Johnston. "You have not treated the Republican party fairly, but, more importantly, you haven't treated the people of this state fairly."

The Republicans became further irritated when Black abruptly ended the debate and immediately called a press conference to decry Black's actions.

"When (Black) decided that the rules didn't apply he decided ... that the people of this state didn't need a constitution, didn't need to be represented by the state of North Carolina," said Rep. Sam Ellis, R-Wake.

Republican members said a lawsuit would be filled because they felt Black had violated not only the rules of the House but also of the state Constitution.

"We saw a tyranny today," said Rep. Art Pope, R-Wake. "The courts will intervene to enforce the constitution."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.