Officials Approaching Planned Hike Differently

But now, Chancellor James Moeser hopes to create a committee to examine where the money from a tuition increase would go -- an increase that he already has publicly supported.

Moeser announced his intent to propose to the BOT a five-year campus-initiated tuition increase in his State of the University address Sept. 5.

Moeser said Monday that a committee would form after Thursday's BOT meeting to craft a tuition increase proposal, which will be presented to the BOT for a vote in January.

In the meantime, Provost Robert Shelton said he will present information about the last two tuition increases and about how UNC-CH's tuition matches up with tuition levels at comparable public universities to the BOT on Thursday.

"I thought it was inappropriate to present a proposal before we have all the data available to give people background," he said. "We need to take a deep breath -- figure out where we are."

The last campus-initiated tuition increase to be approved by the BOT came in October 1999. In that case, a faculty salary committee was formed first to examine salaries on campus and to rate their competitiveness, and the committee recommended the increase.

But this time, the committee will be formed after Moeser's decision that a tuition increase is needed --