Peach Bowl Packages Now Cheaper

Organizer Burgess Foster says the trip's price will be about $70 less but will no longer include a hotel stay.

Junior Burgess Foster is organizing a Peach Bowl trip package, sponsored by Groove Phi Groove Social Fellowship Inc. Foster said the package he originally designed and publicized included overnight accommodations, but the new trip will only feature transportation and game admittance.

Students also can obtain tickets, which will become available if UNC is confirmed to participate in the game, through the Department of Athletics or directly from the Peach Bowl.

Foster said his package will cost $123.93 per person -- about $70 less than he had originally advertised -- and will include round-trip charter bus transportation and one ticket to the Peach Bowl. The buses will leave Dec. 31, the day of the game, and return that night.

Tickets will be sold from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. today through Dec. 4 in the Pit today. Trip participants must pay with either a check or money order from Bank of America. After paying for the trip, they will receive a receipt that can be redeemed later for a game ticket.

Foster said two percent of the proceeds will go to the Sonja H. Stone Black Cultural Center, but he also will use profits from the trip to pay his tuition.

Anyone who purchases a ticket will be given a refund if UNC is not invited to play in the Peach Bowl, Foster said. "We'd be able to issue refunds on the spot," he said. "That's always been our policy."

Foster said students should not be concerned about the legitimacy of the trip. "I cannot guarantee a victory at the Peach Bowl, but I can guarantee that the trip is being handled professionally," he said.

Derek Martin, director of sales for the Peach Bowl, confirmed that Foster has secured up to 800 tickets for the bowl game if UNC is selected to play. "He has asked to purchase 800 tickets," he said. "If he contacts us when we announce the teams, he will be able to get 800 tickets."

But Foster's trip is not the only way for UNC fans to secure tickets to the bowl game. Martin said tickets can be purchased directly through the Peach Bowl. "We have been selling tickets for the game in the priority section all year," he said. "There will be better seats and worse seats (than those offered by Foster)."

Martin also said UNC's athletic department would receive about 25,000 tickets if the football team is selected for the game.

Steve Kirschner, director of communication for the athletic department, said anyone would be able to buy tickets from the athletic ticket office if UNC is chosen to play in the Peach Bowl.

"Just like any other bowl game we've gone to, tickets can be purchased through the athletic ticket office," he said. "As soon as we were invited, we would most likely have them available within a day."

But Foster hopes students will travel to the Peach Bowl with his group. He said he believes the trip will make a powerful statement about UNC pride. "I want to show everyone Carolina spirit is second to none."