Psychology Professor To Start as New Dean

Undergraduates will have a new administrator watching over their academic careers at UNC beginning today.

Psychology Professor Karen Gil will begin working in her new position of senior associate dean of undergraduate education in UNC's College of Arts and Sciences today. The spot that has been vacant since Sept. 1, when Bernadette Gray-Little was appointed executive associate provost.

Gil has served on the faculty since 1995 as a psychology professor whose research included studies on stress management and coping.

"Her specialty is stress management, which will be very helpful," said Risa Palm, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences.

Palm said Gil's duties will entail overseeing undergraduate academic programs, scholarships and services, which include programs such as academic advising and the Honors Program.

Palm said Gil's area of specialty will give her an edge in her new job. Psychology is one of the largest majors at UNC, so Gil has a lot of interaction with some of the students she will be serving, Palm said.

"She has the experience of already working with students," Palm said. "She's sort of a model of what we want from our faculty."

Gil was chosen from among three faculty candidates to succeed Gray-Little. Gil said she was approached about the position at the beginning of the semester and was interviewed and selected by a faculty committee.

Gil said she has several goals for her new role. "I think my first goal would be to support the individual programs that come under the Office of Undergraduate Education," she said.

Encouraging effective communication and enhancing research participation are two more of Gil's goals. She said interaction with both students and faculty will be an integral part of her plans for the department and that she is looking forward to sparking student and faculty involvement.

Gil formerly served on the faculty of Duke University. She specializes in health psychology and has received several major national grants and awards. Gil is a fellow of the American Psychological Association and the Society of Behavioral Medicine.