Residents Protest Widening Plans For Weaver Dairy

The expansion could widen Weaver Dairy Road to four lanes, but residents fear the effects on pedestrians and the environment.

The protest, organized by Chapel Hill resident Burwell Ware, was held outside East Chapel Hill High School. Ware said the residents wanted to let officials at the N.C. Department of Transportation know that they oppose the proposed expansion of the road.

"I want to send a message to the (NCDOT)," Ware said. "We can't be a neighborhood divided by a giant highway."

In January, the Chapel Hill Town Council voted to expand Weaver Dairy Road to three lanes instead of four, as the NCDOT requested. The NCDOT responded to the town's decision with the statement that the construction of the three-lane project would not meet the road's needs.

Chapel Hill mayoral candidate Kevin Foy, who attended the protest, said expanding the road would be detrimental to Chapel Hill. "I did not support widening Weaver Dairy Road (when it was voted on in January), and I do not support it now," he said. "Larger roads contribute to water pollution and an inability of pedestrians to move around town."

But Chapel Hill mayoral candidate Lee Pavao, who also was in attendance, offered another view. "I support the widening," Pavao said. "It's been on the transportation plan for over a decade. The committee has planned safety features. I will continue to support four lanes."

Eight of the 10 candidates for Town Council also were present to voice their opinions on the widening issue.

Council candidate D.R. Bryan said he would not support the expansion because wider roads make it more difficult for bikers and pedestrians. "(Right now) the only way to get from point A to point B is in a car," he said.

Candidate Larry Daquioag said, "We need two lanes with two sidewalks and two bike paths."

Chapel Hill Town Council candidate Lisa Everett said safety is her main concern with the proposed expansion. "Four lanes means more cars would make it easier to go faster. As a citizen, I am concerned we will have a problem with the increased traffic."

Council candidate Richard Giersh said, "I don't stand for widening Weaver Dairy Road. We don't need to make the road a thoroughfare."

Council candidate Ed Harrison said cooperation is the key to satisfying the residents. "This is a controversy that needs to be settled. I hope we can get together (with the NCDOT)."

Candidate Mark Kleinschmidt said the town should reflect on past mistakes when thinking of expanding the road. "Widening Weaver Dairy Road would be a replication of what went wrong."

Council candidate Diane VandenBroek said, "As a bicyclist and a runner, I definitely do not support widening Weaver Dairy Road."

Council candidate Dorothy Verkerk said four-lane roads are inappropriate for residential areas. "(NC)DOT engineers design them for speeds of 65 to 70 miles per hour."

Chapel Hill resident Warren Greshes said making more lanes would not ease safety problems. "To think that widening it to four lanes will be safer is insane."

Candidates Bob Reda and Edith Wiggins did not attend. But Reda, who was out of town, released a statement promising informally to examine traffic conditions on Weaver Dairy Road.

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.