Sangam Nite Connects Cultures

The 15th annual Sangam Nite, titled "Saathiyon ka Safaar" -- a travel with friends -- featured performances by 15 varied ensembles interspersed with comedy skits. More than 100 students took part in the production.

Masters of ceremonies Amisha Raja and Sujay Kansagra announced each act and introduced the "travelers" who represented the night's theme. The travelers, students who participated in multiple skits to create a bridge between them, highlighted some of the differences between South Asian and American culture.

"It was a 'Going to South Asia' version of 'Coming to America,'" said Fauzia Tariq, Sangam's cultural co-chairwoman and co-organizer of Sangam Nite.

But for the most part, Sangam used the night to meld the two cultures, fusing traditional styles with hip-hop music and modern dance.

The Mahatmamas dance troupe combined traditional South Asian dance with break dancing and martial arts moves. And while "Mann ke Manjeere'" portrayed the exuberance of women in a customary way, most of the dancers were not South Asian.

Rashmi Bisen, who danced in the fashion shows, said this year's Sangam Nite included more non-South Asian participation than in years past.

"I think it adds a lot," Bisen said. "When non-South Asians don't perform, it is not depicting our daily lives."

Saagar, the graduate student wing of Sangam, offered another example of cultural fusion. Its competitive dance began with two distinct groups of dancers, one dressed in traditional garb and one in modern clothing, and by the end of the segment, dancers had paired up with their cross-cultural counterparts.

"(Sangam Nite) is a chance to share our own background or share other South Asian backgrounds with an audience," said cultural Co-chairwoman Smriti Bhotika.

Freshman Jonathan Hilliard was one audience member who said he was unfamiliar with South Asian culture. "I was expecting a good performance, but I was actually surprised," Hilliard said. "It was really interesting."

Hilliard said his favorite act was Bhangra Elite, which performed in a style common in the Punjab region of India and Pakistan. The group's mix of folk music, dance and acrobatics elicited loud cheers from the audience.

Sangam had only two months to prepare for this year's Sangam Nite because it was held in the fall. In the past, Sangam Nites have always been held in the spring, but renovation of Memorial Hall planned for the spring forced the group to reschedule.

Tariq said she was proud of the group for putting on the best show in its history. "I've never worked with such a dedicated group of students before."