Saturday (UNC v. NCSU)

3:27 p.m.
UNC vs. N.C. State

North Carolina quarterback Ronald Curry takes a knee with 28 seconds ticking away on the clock. The battle done, his fellow Tar Heels lift their voices in triumphant screams and race onto the field toward their band and their fans.

They sing, they laugh, they enjoy the 17-9 victory. And when the song has ended, they turn to the center of Carter-Finley Stadium, to N.C. State's defeated football team. Awkwardly, they stand for a few moments, but then, in a great wave, they fall to their knees and pray with the Wolfpack.

3:32 p.m.
The Game's End

Greg Woofter is the first Tar Heel off the field. He walks with a man in North Carolina regalia and gestures with his helmet, shaking his hands and helmet back and forth.

Tight end Zach Hilton runs in seconds after Woofter reaches the field house. The 6-foot-7 Hilton beams, having caught the first two passes of his career in the game.

There are plenty of other smiles. Assistant head coach James Webster claps hard as he strides to the locker room. Senior wideout Kory Bailey uses his helmet to punctuate his feelings. He looks as if he'd like to cry. Center Adam Metts walks next to offensive lineman coach Robbie Caldwell, grinning ear-to-ear. But he stops, turns and hugs a teammate.

Finally, UNC first-year head coach John Bunting makes his way to the field house. Under the blaring sounds of Lee Greenwood's "I'm Proud to Be an American," Bunting smiles, hugs and shakes hands with friends, players and staff.

And hanging over the fence separating the fans from the team, a man in his 30s hangs his arms over the chain-link fence. He's holding a gray Carolina basketball shirt by the shoulders waving it up and down. It's the wrong sport, but no one cares.

Go to Sunday...