Seminars Battle Bioterrorism With Facts

"We're now constantly being faced with questions," said Waller, a research assistant professor in UNC's Department of Emergency Medicine.

Waller, along with about 100 members of both the health community and general public, gathered in Rosenau Hall on Monday to listen to Scott Ratzan, editor in chief of the Journal of Health Communication, speak about how public health officials should handle communication in light of recent anthrax attacks across the country.

"Communicating in Crisis: Managing Health Security" was one seminar in a series sponsored by the School of Public Health to address bioterrorism concerns. The series, titled "America at Risk: The Public Health Response" was prompted by an overwhelming response to School of Medicine Professor David Weber's Oct. 5 speech about bioterrorism agents.

Monday's lecture focused on the communications aspect of bioterrorism. Ratzan suggested that health officials maintain open and honest communication with the general public.

"You need to have a credible source and a credible message," Ratzan said. "If we're proactive in our messages, they tend to be more trustworthy."

To illustrate his points, Ratzan drew a parallel between how America is handling the anthrax attacks and how the British communicated with the public surrounding deaths from bovine spongiform encephalopathy -- commonly known as "mad cow disease" -- in 1996.

Ratzan offered a series of maxims for health officials, emphasizing command, coordination and communication.

He said it is important to develop a risk communication plan that includes developing a strategic approach, communicating a consistent and credible message, identifying an intended audience and evaluating strategies.

Waller said she found the seminar relevant and helpful and said she is planning to attend the remaining lectures in the series.

Two more seminars are scheduled for this semester. "Tales From the Front Lines: How Prepared is Public Health for Terrorism?" will be presented Nov. 19 and feature Maj. Jim Hanlon of the U.S. Army Medical Service Corps.

On Dec. 6, Rolf Deininger, a University of Michigan environmental health professor, will hold a seminar titled "Vulnerability of Water Supply Systems to Terrorism."

Lisa Katz, communications director for the public health school, said although there are only two more seminars scheduled, more might be warranted. "Given all that is going on overseas and in America, it would seem that this is something that will be of great interest for some time."