Senior Class Fills Vacant Positions

The senior class marshals met Sunday to select who would move up from marshal positions to the open posts.

The marshals chose Brian Oten to serve as chief marshal and Byron Wilson as the senior class vice president-elect. Wilson must go before Student Congress on Tuesday for approval.

The positions were vacated last month when former Chief Marshal Annie Peirce and former Senior Class Vice President Ursula Dimmling resigned, citing internal conflicts with senior class officers.

"These people are more in line with what the marshals wanted and what I wanted," said Senior Class President Ben Singer.

He said Oten and Wilson both bring leadership experience to their positions but that any of the marshals would have been qualified to move up to the posts.

"We were very selective in who we picked as marshals, so I would have been satisfied with any one of the marshals," Singer said.

Despite the change in leadership, Singer said the senior class officers' progress will not be hindered.

He said the officers used their last meeting to refocus and reinforce their priorities.

"It's unfortunate that what has happened has cast a dark shadow upon the senior class because we have done a lot of good," Singer said.

Wilson could not be reached for comment, but Oten said he is looking forward to stepping up to the position of chief marshal, and he hopes to pick up where Peirce left off.

He said he will be in charge of overseeing the marshals' committees and meeting with Singer and Wilson. Oten said he hopes the new officers will forge a better working relationship and eliminate previous tensions.

"It was something that was never really spoken," Oten said. "I think we'll work very well together."

In the six months remaining before Commencement, Oten said the senior class officers will be focused on developing the senior class gift, planning social events and service projects and preparing for Commencement ceremonies.

"I think we'll learn from past experiences," Oten said. "I'm really looking forward to this."