Staff Cuts Target Filled, Vacant Posts

A total of 11 occupied staff positions have been eliminated in the Facilities Services and Academic Technology & Networks departments as a result of budget cuts despite the fact that some positions in these departments are vacant.

In recent weeks, Gov. Mike Easley has ordered that the UNC system revert an additional 2.7 percent of its funding. These cuts have contributed to the need to cut staff positions, officials said.

Provost Robert Shelton said each department can retain its lapsed salary funds -- unspent money designated for vacant staff positions -- and make cuts in other areas if officials deem the vacant positions crucial to the department's operations. "I decided to give the managers as much flexibility as possible to deal with the cuts," Shelton said. "They have to decide whether it's best in the long run for their department to eliminate an occupied position or a vacant position."

But some department administrators say the possibility of further budget cuts might mean the loss of both lapsed salary funds and occupied positions.

Carolyn Elfland, associate vice chancellor for campus services, said budget cuts already have forced her department to eliminate 21 staff positions, some of which were vacant. But Elfland said she will not hire any new personnel to fill vacant posts because the General Assembly might reinstate the 2.7 percent temporary cut next year.

"If the revenue from the state is down in January, it's likely they'll ask for more money," she said. "We have been told not to be surprised if they do ask for more. I think this could go on for quite a while."

Bruce Runberg, associate vice chancellor for facilities planning, said his department has permanently cut two vacant positions and will be unable to fill three more open positions if the 2.7 percent cut is permanently enacted.

Shelton said departments can use overhead receipts -- money the University receives with research grants that is aimed at offsetting the cost of conducting research -- with a large degree of flexibility to cover miscellaneous costs.

But Shelton said it is unlikely the funds from overhead receipts will be enough to compensate for the budget cuts. "Those are dollars they can use," Shelton said. "But the departments have more demands than dollars."

Some UNC faculty members have expressed interest in forfeiting their $625 across-the-board salary increases to save staff positions from being cut. Sixty-six faculty members at N.C. Central University have already agreed to give up their salary increases for the same purpose.

Shelton said returned salary money would be given back to the N.C. General Assembly and would not go to funding for staff positions, but UNC-CH Faculty Council Chairwoman Sue Estroff said she is optimistic such a proposal is feasible.

"I understand that with some creative bookkeeping it can be done, but it's not as easy as it sounds," Estroff said. "It will take some financial gymnastics." Elfland said her department can avoid cutting back services by consolidating administrative and management positions because no physical labor positions will be eliminated.

Runberg said his department also has been able to absorb the cuts without hindering its work as a whole. But he warned that any further budget reductions might be too difficult to accommodate."We're being cut to the bone," he said.

"It's going to be very difficult to take any additional cuts without hurting the quality of our work."