Student Disagrees With Paper's Placement of Homecoming Stories

The fact that the majority of UNC students did not vote in the election is the explanation DTH representatives gave to inquiring minds at the Association of Student Leaders meeting last Monday.

However, 1,600 students did vote in the election. Not only is that more than voted in any other past Homecoming election, that's 1,500 more than the 100 students and faculty who attended the presentation of an honorary degree to Chilean president, Ricardo Lagos Escobar.

That event did make Monday's front page. Comparing the numbers, it seems as though the higher interest fell with Homecoming, but my math might be off.

The campus might also be interested to know that the members of Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority, Inc. and Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity, Inc. took top honors at the National Pan-Hellenic Step Show Saturday. The show, which featured seven of UNC's Greek fraternities and sororities stepping for a sold-out Memorial Hall audience, was not covered by the DTH.

When asked why, a DTH representative explained that it was difficult to track down information on the event.

In the future, I would suggest the following means of tracking down information: contacting the Director of Greek Affairs (who was a judge), talking with one of the participating organizations, talking with students who attended the event or the always-helpful sending a reporter to the actual event.

Carmen Scott

Senior

Journalism and Mass Communication