Students Give, Take Feedback in Advising Forum

The event was planned by the Student Academic Advising Board, a student government committee started last year to increase communication between students and the advising office.

Student Body Vice President Rudy Kleysteuber said the event -- which took a little more than a month to plan -- is something student government has wanted to do for a while. "Up to this year, there's never been any formal structure for student input and feedback on advising."

Carolyn Cannon, associate dean of academic advising, was present at the forum with more than 10 academic advisers to answer students' questions. She said the dialogue was a way to open up communication between students and advisers. "We hope that students and advising will find ways for students to communicate better with us," Cannon said.

Cannon said the theme of partnership in planning was the reason for Tuesday's forum, which Kleysteuber said he hopes will send administrators the message that students do have strong feelings about advising.

"(Academic advising) has a large potential right now for being helpful, but for many people right now it's not," Kleysteuber said. "We want everyone's (advising) experience to be positive."

Erin-Ashley Ross, a junior communications major, said she came to the forum because she feels she has not had adequate advising. "Before I declared a major, I had a lot of problems with my adviser," Ross said. "I'm interested in the revision of advising here at UNC."

Sophomore Kim Sexton, a member of the new advising board, moderated the forum. "I hear things from students all the time about advisers," she said. "Deans honestly cannot wait to hear suggestions and comments because they want to make advising good at Carolina."

Officials from the Offices of the University Registrar also attended the forum, addressing students' concerns about the registration process. Freshman political science major David Barbour voiced his concerns about registering, saying he was forced to sign up for classes different than those he discussed with his advisers because classes became full.

Students also asked questions regarding the different advising systems in the General College and the College of Arts and Sciences and brought attention to problems they say stem from Honors Program advising being separate from regular advising.

Some students asked what they could do if they were interested in more than one major. Officials said students can meet with advisers on different teams, especially during slower times of the year.

Although only about 30 students and advisers attended, Sexton and Cannon said they were pleased with the event. Cannon said a great deal of information and a variety of topics were discussed.

"We are available for them -- we encourage students to come see us," Cannon said. "Students are our business."