Union Construction Delayed 2 More Months

The stairs between Student Stores and the Union have to be destroyed because they were not straight.

The project was originally scheduled for completion in June and then was pushed back to December.

The delays in the construction work occurred because the work was not meeting standards set forth by the University in its agreement with the sub-contractor in charge of construction, said Don Luse, Union director.

Luse said there are many reasons why the construction has been delayed. One example he cited is the construction of a new set of stairs between the Union and Student Stores. The concrete stairs did not meet the necessary specifications because they were not straight, Luse said.

Workers first attempted to fix the problem without having to destroy the previous work, but now the stairs will have to be demolished.

Luse said there also have been problems with the bricks used in constructing the building. "The brick work was not done to satisfaction," he said.

Additionally, workers found more rock underground than the contractor initially anticipated.

For now, space in the Union is limited because Union officials were counting on the extra spaces in the addition, Luse said. Student organizations that have space now are sharing with one another.

"We feel like we've been able to provide everybody with adequate, if not equal, space," Luse said.

Organizations that reserved rooms in the Union for spring received an e-mail Friday regarding changes resulting from the problems in which Events Planning Coordinator Ryan Donahoe assured groups that they still have reservations, but they might be moved to a new location.

Upon completion of the construction, the same number of student organizations will be accommodated, Luse said.

The organizations with offices in the Union now will not necessarily receive space when construction is completed -- instead it will depend on which groups apply to Student Body President Justin Young for space, Luse said.

Steve Russell, editor of the Carolina Review, was excited about the possibilities the project could offer when it is completed. "It will be a cleaner, nicer environment," Russell said.

He said the Carolina Review staff hopes to have a new computer and better Internet and phone connections when the project is finished.

Luse addressed the construction in terms of how it affects student organizations. "I think it continues to have people scratching their heads wondering when they're going to be moving from one place to another."

He said there still are tasks yet to be completed before the rooms are ready for occupancy but that construction will be finished by mid-March at the latest, barring any future difficulties.

But Luse said there still are tasks workers need to address during the construction. "There are issues with things we've looked at and had to be redone."