What's In a Name? Getting the Answers

My girlfriend was really good friends with this guy right up until we started dating, when he stopped talking to her. Now, I don't mind this personally, but she does. I don't know if it's jealousy or what, but I also don't know what (if anything) I should (or can) do to help. I just want her to be happy... any ideas? -- T.H.

Well, there isn't really a whole lot you can do to help in this situation. It's between your girlfriend and her friend, and getting in the middle of it could only cause potential problems. But here's some advice anyway.

There could be a couple of reasons that her friend has stopped talking to her. It could be jealousy, but it's not likely. If he was jealous of your relationship, then he would've asked her out when he had the chance. If he feels like he missed his shot, he wouldn't have stopped talking to her, he would be talking to her more.

So it's most likely just a sense of separation. He probably feels that he has lost something now that she is with you. Maybe he shared a connection with her that, while it never would have crossed over into an actual relationship, was just as valued ... and fragile. The jokes, the jibes, the looks -- many of those are not suitable for a girl in another relationship. It's not that he's jealous, he just doesn't know how to act around her anymore.

Now, as I said, there is nothing you can really do. But if your girlfriend is upset because she wants her friend back, then tell her to talk to him. She has to tell him that they can still have the same relationship. No, it's not going to become something more, but it wasn't going to in the first place. They can be just as close as before. She'll be happy, and you, in turn, will be happy.

Ask the Monday editorial fool, Michael Carlton, what in the blue hell does "Mojovian V.D." mean. -- C.G.

For those of you who don't know, Michael Carlton writes a weekly column called "Mojovian V.D." that appears on Monday, up and to the right from the one you are reading right now.

I had always wondered what that phrase meant as well, so I did some research. Merriam-Webster defines mojo as "a magic spell, hex, or charm; magical power." So, even though "mojovian" isn't a real word, it probably has something to do with Carlton's magical powers, whatever they may be.

Next I turned to the acronym, "V.D." I had a lot of ideas for this one. Maybe Carlton thought the idea of magical power was Very Disturbing. Or maybe its referring to some sort of Venereal Disease. Maybe he's just infatuated with action star Vin Diesel.

After pondering all this, I figured I'd just ask the guy. His answer: Wait and see. Carlton says he will reveal what "Mojovian V.D." really stands for in his final column this year. Stay tuned to his column to hear the real answer. It's not what you think ...

In case anyone was wondering, F1 is the help shortcut on your computer. Get it? F1? Help? Advice? No? Oh well ... Send your questions to shupe@email.unc.edu.