Ceremony Celebrates 50 Years of Integration at UNC

As a result of the determination of those students, the U.S. Court of Appeals ordered the integration of UNC in 1951, deeming UNC's sister state university for black students in Durham to be inadequate.

In June 1951, Harvey Beech, J. Kenneth Lee, Floyd McKissick and James Robert Walker Jr. passed through the portals of the University, marking the beginning of a new generation of UNC scholars -- students of color.

The Black Student Movement and the Black Faculty and Students Committee recognized the golden anniversary of UNC's desegregation Friday.

More than 100 people attended the celebration in the Great Hall of the Student Union. The program paid tribute to five honorees -- Hortense McClinton, Hayden Renwick, Carl Smith, Harold Wallace and Edith Wiggins -- all former UNC faculty members.

After an introduction by BSM President Kristi Booker and a musical selection performed by Harmonyx, Provost Robert Shelton presented a proclamation recognizing the 50th anniversary of the integration of UNC. Archie Ervin, director of the Office of Minority Affairs, then presented each of the honorees with a certificate of recognition in appreciation for their contribution to the University.

The honorees reminisced about their experiences at UNC and the challenges they faced as pioneer black faculty. "When I arrived to the University, the black student population was just over 850, and now it's over 3,000," said Smith, who was the first black administrator appointed to the provost's office. "It is long overdue to give recognition to the quantity and quality of the black students here."

Law Professor Charles Daye conducted the ceremony's keynote address. Daye emphasized the importance of imagination in the progress of the University and in the progress of every individual.

"There is something about imagination. ... Imagine the founders of this university imagining a great university," Daye said. "No one would have imagined women at this university. ... No one could include descendants of former slaves."

Harold Woodard, assistant dean of the office of student counseling, concluded the ceremonies, praising UNC's progress toward achieving diversity. "From the diversity of this audience, it is clear that we have indeed come from a mighty long way," he said. After the ceremonies, Terri Houston, director of the recruitment and support program, said the honorees touched her deeply.

"I was very moved by the celebration, just to hear the legacy of (the honorees)," Houston said. "If it were not for some of their efforts, I, as an African-American woman, may not have had the opportunity to work here."