Chapel Hill, Carrboro Groups Gear Up for Holidays

But this holiday season, Milbre Burch will tell the stories of Christmas, Hannukkah and Kwanzaa to Chapel Hill children and families in a presentation dubbed "Winter Light: Seasonal Stories from around the world."

Throughout the Chapel Hill and Carrboro area, numerous organizations are planning a series of merrymaking festivities to celebrate the holiday season.

Burch's storytelling session will be at 10 a.m. Dec. 14 and at 11 a.m. Dec. 15 at the ArtsCenter in Carrboro.

She said her Dec. 14 session will target younger children in the first through third grades, and the second concert will appeal to older children and is open to the general public.

"Cultures around the world mark the middle of winter with a light festivity of some kind," she said. "Kwanzaa is an African harvest festival. There is also candle lighting in India and Asia. All of these cultures come together to survive the darkest time of the year."

Kwanzaa is a unique celebration that focuses on the traditional African values of family community, responsibility, commerce and self-improvement. The holiday originates from the first fruit harvest celebration, and the celebration usually lasts seven days.

Stacie Sanders, the ArtsCenter children and family program director, predicted that about 600 children will attend Burch's concert.

But she also said the center will be hosting a craft-making event for children and their parents after Burch's storytelling.

"(Holiday Crafts From Around the World) started a year ago to promote interaction between parents and children," Sanders said.

But the Winter Light Concert and craft-making are just a few of the many upcoming holiday events for children at the center.

Rags to Riches, a musical dance group, will perform "A Christmas Tale" at 7 p.m Dec. 21 and at 11 p.m. Dec. 22 at the ArtsCenter.

Sanders said this show has been particularly appealing to children in the past.

"This is really an ArtsCenter favorite," she said. "It is a very interactive show. There is a lot of up and moving around."

The Carolina Inn also will open its door this holiday season as it kicks off its fourth annual "Twelve Days of Christmas" celebration Sunday afternoon. The event will feature exhibits in which the artists create displays to represent one of the 12 days alluded to in the traditional Christmas carol.

Two turtle doves flying in a decorated cage will greet the guests as they enter the exhibit.

Students and residents also can try their luck this holiday season in a town raffle dubbed the Holiday Shopping Spree Giveaway, in which $2,000 in gift certificates to various downtown Chapel Hill stories will be given away.

Robert Humphreys, head of the Chapel Hill Downtown Commission said the 60 stores participating in the giveaway have posted red signs in their windows, inviting any passerby to participate.

Four prizes will be drawn during the Chapel Hill Holiday Open House sometime between Dec. 15 to 17. The lucky first place winner will receive $700 in gift certificates with the other three winners receiving between $200 to $300 in gift certificates.

Humphreys said, "It is well worth someone to register."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.