Club NV Offers Techno, New York Style

Club NV owner, Brent Lee, says he wants to avoid the beer bar image in his club, favoring a city atmosphere.

Club NV, located on Rosemary Street, might not give Chapel Hill the night life to rival Miami or New York City, but many locals say it's a better alternative.

Brent Lee, a former UNC student who now owns NV, envisioned something entirely new and different for Chapel Hill when he decided to build the club. "I tried to bring in more of a big city atmosphere -- more flair, more style," Lee said. "I was trying to avoid the beer bar image."

With its swanky decor that even extends to the rest rooms, and its official club dog, Tyler, who donned a new collar for the evening, there's no chance NV could be labeled a beer bar.

Christine Monaghan of 324 Barclay Road left long before the club closed at 4 a.m., but she said it wasn't because she didn't have a good time.

"Personally I got tired of the techno, but I can hang for a couple hours," Monaghan said. "I like the look of the place; I really like the furniture."

Simon Booth, one the disc jockeys Saturday night, didn't have any doubts about the future success of the club.

"Chapel Hill's a growing scene, and people come from Charlotte, Raleigh and Boone," Booth said. "It's new and exciting, and they want to be a part of it."

Allison Lentz, a senior in the Kenan-Flagler Business School and a cocktail waitress at NV, delivered martinis and beer to the tables situated around the dance pit. "I've waitressed for three years, and this is a completely different scene, more fast-paced," Lentz said. "But it really offers something for everybody."

Lee said the line at the door began forming at 10:30 p.m., but the real crowds arrived at 11:30 p.m. with as many as 30 people waiting to pay the $10 membership fee for a sneak peek.

"We probably had 800-plus people on Saturday night, but it's hard to tell because 400 invitations were sent out," Lee said. "But we only have a temporary occupancy permit, so we're keeping a close eye on how many people are inside."

Lee said opening nights are usually a time for tweaking and, even though NV has been trying to open since March, Saturday night wasn't problem-free. "One of the air conditioning units isn't performing, and we had a bridesmaid who had a little too much alcohol," Lee said.

He said plans are in the works for the spring to create theme nights that include "Kinetic" on Wednesday nights for ages 18 and up, "Pure" on Thursday nights with disco house music, "Groove" on Fridays with drum and bass and "Nova" on Saturdays for Manhattan night.

Ticket prices vary throughout the week. Wednesday through Friday the entry is $6 plus the $10 membership fee. On Saturday the price is $8 with membership.

Leonard Lee, Brent's father, was also at the club helping out Saturday night. "Brent's always been one to think out of the box," he said. "And from the way it looks now, it looks like he's got a winner."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.