Commissioners Debate Future of Parks and Recreation

The recently passed $75 million bond package includes $20 million for parks and will provide the necessary funds for the new parks with assistance from the County General Budget. Now the Orange County Board of Commissioners must decide how the parks will be managed.

David Stancil, director of the Orange County Environment and Resource Department, presented the plans for new parks in the Orange County area.

Stancil said it was a new era for parks in Orange County and the community would benefit from the lack of restrictions on parks.

"The purpose of the presentation is not to give a definitive statement," Stancil said. "It is only one approach for the board's consideration."

There are two options for operation and maintenance of the parks. The commissioners will decide to care for the parks either in-house or through a contract with a private firm.

Commissioner Stephen Halkiotis suggested cooperating with school maintenance services to save costs on equipment and encouraged further investigation of partnerships with schools.

"You may be able to achieve savings with the school system," Halkiotis said. "The equipment is there."

The Efland Cheeks Park is the only open park in Orange County. Stancil said there are two parks under way for fall 2002 -- Mapleview Field and Little River Regional Park.

"The county's lack of parks to date presents challenge and opportunity," Stancil said. "In Wake County, where there are more parks, they are very entrenched in the way they operate. We have the luxury of flexibility. We have the chance to develop a program outside the box of traditional parks."

Stancil stressed the environment as an important aspect in establishing the new parks.

"Landscape architects are attuned to (the environment), and they will lay out playing fields with an eye on nature." he said. "We want to make sure we are not lowering the integrity of the natural environment."

Halkiotis responded positively to Stancil's presentation.

"I am very intrigued," he said. "I knew you had some good vision. Now it is even better."

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk.unc.edu.