Elections Board Meets With Political Hopefuls

"This can be a whole lot of fun, and I know it is fun to look for the loopholes in the code," Board of Elections Chairwoman Emily Margolis told the crowd. "But just be very careful that you are not breaking the rules."

About 60 students came to the campaign information session, but only about 20 expressed interest in seeking posts. The rest were there to support candidates.

Margolis told the students the elections board was taken advantage of last year but that was going to change.

"We're cracking down," she said.

Last year, campaigns with illegal posters got a $5 total fine, she said. But she said candidates who post illegally now will face stiffer penalties. "This year we're going to charge you per poster."

Margolis distributed copies of the Student Code to people interested in the positions of student body president, Carolina Athletic Association president, Residence Hall Association president, senior class president and vice president, and Student Congress. The position of Graduate and Professional Student Federation president also is up for grabs, although no one at the meeting expressed interest in the position.

Five students expressed interest in running for student body president. Juniors Jen Daum, Fred Hashagen, Will McKinney and Brad Overcash previously had indicated their intent to run, and junior Aaron Mesmer also said he plans to seek the position.

Campaigning cannot actually begin until the Jan. 22 candidacy declaration date, three weeks before the Feb. 12 general election. Until then, Margolis suggested that candidates read the code carefully in regards to posters and e-mails. "The biggest problem we had last year was with people sending out e-mails.

"I would just really recommend that you read the election laws very, very carefully, especially for things like fines."

For the most part, Margolis said, the rules for this year's campaigns are the same as last year's. But she said she is adding meetings every Sunday between Jan. 22 and Feb. 12, the official campaign season. These sessions will give candidates a chance to make complaints, ask questions or discuss fines, Margolis said.

Few people planned to run for Congress. But Margolis said these candidates typically express interest later in the campaign season. Also, she said she is thinking about approaching the heads of departments to help find candidates for GPSF president. "It needs to be presented as the prestigious position that it is."