Feingold Visit Delayed, Students Should Attend Rescheduled Speech

The Young Democrats were ecstatic about being able to provide the campus with an alternative to Horowitz's divisive message. We were hosting Russ Feingold, one of the most progressive members of the United States Senate; certainly quite a contrast to Horowitz. Unfortunately, due to unforeseeable circumstances, Senator Feingold's visit to Chapel Hill must be rescheduled for 8 p.m., Jan. 14 in Memorial Hall.

As Thursday morning began, I was thrilled about the prospects for Feingold's speech, set for Dec. 3. The opinion on campus was that Horowitz focused little on positive solutions to issues and instead spewed unbridled hatred for anyone who disagreed with his fanatical vision. Senator Feingold would be the perfect antidote. However, Thursday morning, I received a phone call from the Senator's office explaining that the Senate was considering a vote on the proposed economic stimulus package.

It is highly unusual for the Senate to hold votes on Mondays. However, this bill is vitally important to our nation, and, understandably, the Senate leadership wishes to pass the legislation as soon as possible.

By Friday, it was certain that the economic stimulus package would be voted on Monday evening and Feingold's visit to campus would have to be rescheduled. Fortunately, Senator Feingold has already rescheduled for January 14.

The Young Democrats appreciate your patience. We hope you will attend Senator Feingold's talk where he will discuss such issues as his opposition to the death penalty and racial profiling, his support of campaign finance reform, and his take on national security. Senator Feingold is an individual who all of us, as Tar Heels, as North Carolinians and, as Americans, can feel proud to host at this, the finest institution of public learning in the nation.

Christopher A. Brook

President

UNC Young Democrats

Editor's Note

The spring 2002 columnists, cartoonists and edit board members will be notified by e-mail. Their names will be posted at a later date.