Foy Sets Up Framework For Town Government

Mayor Kevin Foy says that he took council members' interests into account when making his appointments.

Mayor Kevin Foy chose the volunteer coordinator of his recent mayoral campaign, Michelle Lewis, as his new assistant Nov. 30.

Lewis is a 1984 graduate of UNC. She received a political science degree, with honors, and graduated from the University of Virginia School of Law in 1987.

Foy said he appointed Lewis because of qualities she displayed while working on his campaign. "She is a dedicated and hardworking person who will provide good energy and really knows how to work well with people and will be an excellent assistant."

Lewis worked for more than 10 years as a corporate attorney in Washington, D.C., but she and her family eventually decided to return to the area.

"It was time to come back to Chapel Hill, where I knew I could raise my family in a small-town community," Lewis said.

Lewis, who was a stay-at-home mother, has been very involved in local, county and regional issues since her return.

"When I came back to Chapel Hill, I knew that I wanted to spend time giving back to the community," Lewis said. "So I became involved in organizations that are important to me."

Lewis commented on how she got involved early on in the campaign and noted that she looks forward to beginning her new job.

"When Kevin decided to run for mayor, I knew I wanted to help," Lewis said. "I am excited about working with Kevin to support his vision."

In addition to appointing Lewis, Foy also had to oversee the task of situating newly elected and returning Chapel Hill Town Council members to positions of various council liaisons and making committee assignments.

"The council decides amongst themselves who will be appointed as liaisons and receive board appointments," said Chapel Hill Town Manager Cal Horton.

Horton said there were between 15 and 20 appointments made Monday night.

Foy described his involvement in this process as coordinating the town council members' primary and secondary interests and doing his best to see that every member received some of the appointments that they desired.

Foy said he talked to every council member to discuss the issues they felt strongly about and to weigh in their qualifications in regard to the various positions.

Foy did note that some positions were in higher demand than others and complimented the council members on their job working with him to make sure that everyone would be happy with the final decisions.

The council members voted unanimously to accept the new 2001-03 council liaison and committee assignments at Monday night's town council and mayoral inauguration held in the Chapel Hill Town Hall.

Foy said, "They were all very cooperative in getting this done as easily as possible."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.