Last Call for F1: Advice For the Lovelorn

I hope my column did, though. And I hope it will again next semester. Enjoy the holidays, everyone.

Hey, advice man. I like this guy, but I'm not sure if he likes me. I'm in that awkward position of making a fool of myself or taking it to the next level. The problem is that he is so busy, I rarely any time to see if there is potential. So should I put myself out there or look for greener, more available pastures? -- A.W.

There is a guy in one of my classes that I would like to know better. We get together once a week to do class work and eat lunch, but there is never an opportunity to take it to another level. I have invited him to do things with me, but our schedules conflict badly. I'd like to maintain the friendship past this semester, but I don't know how to ensure that this will happen. Any suggestions? -- K.W.

What better way to finish the year than by answering the quintessential romance question for not one, but two people? Both of you want to move to the next level, but don't know if your friends want to come along. So how do you get Mr. Right to become Mr. Right Now?

There are volumes and volumes of love "self-help" books that will give you advice on how to get your man or woman. Needless to say, I've never read any of them, so I'm just going to have to wing it, based on my own experience.

Before you go traipsing to Cloud Nine, you need to make sure he wants to join you. Now, you could just ask, making yourself vulnerable to the always popular, "Why don't we just be friends," or "Awww, that's so sweet ... but no."

Or, you could use an easier and safer tactic: espionage. Get one of your friends to ask about his feelings toward you and if he's willing to move into more intimate territory. If yes, then go get 'em, tiger.

If no, don't despair. He might just not be ready. Continue to work your wiles and he'll come around. Most guys are totally clueless to when girls like them anyway (trust me, I know ... err ... or maybe I don't know). So just give him some time to get used to the idea.

Now, both of you say you have trouble finding time together (I hope you both aren't talking to the same guy). Well, there are ways to see each other more, the best of which is to figure out each other's schedule.

When is he all alone, studying in Davis? When is he eating lunch in Lenoir (or Chase, though I don't recommend it for a romantic interlude)? When could you surprise him when he gets home from class?

Little things like these send clear messages to guys. There's a difference between having fun when you happen to meet and making the effort to spend time together. Guys are pretty dense, I'll admit. But when a girl obviously wants to spend time with us, we usually take the hint. After that, the next step and all its benefits will be yours.

Adam Shupe is the best-selling author of "Romance For Dummies," the best love self-help book since "Men Are From Earth, Women Are From Another Planet." For your own copy, e-mail shupe@email.unc.edu.